Food review: Pasta Fresca Italian Restaurant



Just had dinner with my wife at Pasta Fresca Boat Quay Branch tonight. We discovered this little gem of a restaurant bout 4 years ago when there was a branch at Shaw Lido. The boss is true blue Italian and the name has been around in Singapore for 10 over years already. There is something authentic about the food, as compared to the other Singapore Italian restaurants around. The restaurant is unpretentious in both its food and the way the shop is designed and the details so proudly shouts Italian! Some of its other branches has Italian green, red and white all over its interior, and brings to my mind the quaint Italian cafes that use to dot my University town in Newcastle. Imagine checked table cloths with brick stone walls and a cluttered bar area with pizza pans hanging.

A lot of the food items are different from the other Italian restaurants in Singapore. They dont emphasize on presentation, but the form and shapes of the bread and salads and the way they fall all over each other on a white plate seem to give the impression that the food speaks for itself, and it is true! (at least to our liking) I had this house bread that looked like long fat fingers wrapped with generous parma ham. The waiter actually came over with a small metal basket of Olive oil and Vinegar but yet did not explain to us how to eat it, as if to say ; this is how we do it in Italy, but I need not explain to you in case I offend you. You can eat it anyway you want..." Thankfully I had learnt that such bread taste best with a dip of olive oil and vinegar....

They have a whole range of pastas including stuffed pasta like ravioli, tortellini and cappelletti! haha how many mid range restaurants can serve that?! (not exactly my kind of thing though. Have never gotten used to their taste)

I remember my visit 4 years ago when I asked for a simple plate of black olives and pickles with sour cream and they actually gave it to me.. (They did not have this on the menu but I seen people eating it in Australia)

Anyway, I can go on and on but I will defintely go back there again. Bravos to the boss for not conforming to the typical Singaporean taste bud and insisting on a more authentic taste!

Comments

Popular Posts