Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony 080808

I am so surprised at the quality of the Opening Ceremony. I was expecting a cheesy cheena presentation with lots of ethnic costumes and lots of red...

What I saw tonight is an amazing marriage of special effects and human orchestrated movements that showed the world what the New China can do. I am impressed and I would say this is the best opening so far of all the Olympics Openings I have seen...

I am so glad i caught the opening. Being a chinese myself, seeing how my motherland has presented itself to the world made me proud for being a chinese. All this can be attributed to one man: Zhang Yimou, who choreoraphed the entire show. It was an artistic mix of lighting and computer graphics together with few thousand chinese made the entire event look like a fairy tale and virtual reality come true. This is really inspiration to my artistic sense what the human brain can imagine. I have increased my respect for Zhang Yimou 10 times and I think I will gladly give up all I have if I have the chance to learn from him.

The best parts I like:

fireworks in the form of giant footprints 'booming' their way along the city axis into the stadium. it was not just the stadium. The entire axis of the city was coordinated with fireworks and lighting all the way to the stadium.

The 'scroll', which was used over and over again in different ways you can possibily imagine. Here Yimou has created scenes using colour, graphics that represent the 4 great inventions of China- the ink paper, printing, gunpowder and compass

As I always say, God is in the details, and the amount of detail is incredible, like the costumes that are just like in his movies. Not 100% traditional chinese , but with a slight twist such that they look like they almost belong in a mythical style. It makes China seem like such a mythical country.

If you ask me, it feels just like a great piece of artwork, instead of an event.

The 'Birds nest' is a great piece of architecture that almost seems as if it is designed for the night. The changing light shines through the holes of the nest and creates a glowing sculpture, once again a piece of art. You will never see a stadium as abstract as this. Now I truly appreciate the design intent of Herzog and Meuron, the architect.

All in all, I will watch it over and over again, except for the very draggy part here the athelethes march in. (that part gets boring after a while but it is tradition I suppose)...

Comments

Popular Posts